A window into my mind!

Friday, March 7, 2008

Breeding like....rabbits

This isn't the old days! People don't have to repopulate the earth, or have 10 kids to help manage the ranch/farm! Why oh why are people having 5, 6, 10 kids now days? Last time I checked, there's something called birth control, or if you can't handle artificial hormones (like me), there are other methods that work just fine.

I've never understood how a woman could allow her body to give birth to so many children in this day and age. One pregnancy puts a huge strain on a woman's body, I can't imagine having multiple births. I have a lot of neighbors who don't have any less than 5 kids. What is going on? Maybe they don't believe in birth control because of their religion (that seems like the excuse most give) but then, shouldn't they take some responsibility and stop having sex all together? Or there's those who are just plain out stupid, and refuse to use any method, yet they sleep with anything that walks (sorry, just found out that an old friend has just had a 7th child...plus she's had 2 abortions that I know of).

And those who do it because they get welfare? I have some opinions about that one! I agree with welfare to a point...my mom had a really hard time supporting my brother and I after our fathers left and refused to help with child support. We relied on welfare for a while, and I don't know what we would have done without it. BUT we did not abuse it...my mom had a job and worked as much as she could with raising us on her own. It just wasn't enough money to give us food, shelter and necessities. Once she was able, she got off the system. I'm grateful that the system was there to help, but I do believe that it should be limited help. A year or two, until someone can get onto their feet...but not to literally support someone who can't stop pushing out babies. I hate that I'm paying out the ass with taxes, yet someone else is living scott free because they have children. How's that fair? If you can't afford to raise children on your own, then don't have any!!!! Again, I understand that everyone hits a hard spot, but damn, it doesn't last 18+ years until your whole flock is out the door.

What is the point of having that many kids??? My neighbor has three, ranging in the ages of 2-9 She sends them out into the yard to play while she sits inside and watches her soap operas. Her 9 year old is raising the 2 year old! He carries him in from the car, he babysits him...it's horrible. Those kids play outside for literally hours, and she never once comes to check on them. There have been several times, when she screams for the kids because she has no idea where they are. The little one has actually followed his siblings to the street, and my family knows it's only a matter of time until we end up getting hit by a car trying to save him. We watch those kids whenever they're outside, just to make sure that they stay in their yard...just recently, the two year old rode his little fourwheeler toy over into my mom's yard, meaning he went out into the street by himself and then over here. If you don't want to take responsibilty for your kids, then don't have any!!! She only has three and she neglects them.

The sad thing is, it's the kids who suffer. While people can neglect only one or two kids, the neglect is that much more when there's numberous kids. You can't possibly give each child your undivided attention. No wonder why kids are growing up the way they are, and acting out. I work with troubled kids ranging from 12-14 years of age, and the majority of them will tell you that their parents are too busy, or are never home to make sure they are doing what they should be doing. Therefore, you have all these teeny boopers running the streets because they have no supervision, or their parents just don't care. And the majority of them, come from a family where they have several siblings. It makes me sad and angry.

I recently read about a family where they have had 17 kids. YES...17 KIDS!!!! She has birthed them all. WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD YOU WANT 17 KIDS??? While they have a "gorgeous home" and money aplenty, they admit that they couldn't take care of all the kids on their own, so the older siblings help raise the smaller ones. WHAT!?! That isn't a child's job. Yes, I helped with my brother, but I did not become his parent! Like I said, it's the kids who suffer...physically, monetarily, emotionally...

Ok, so that's my rant for the day. Danielle didn't even raise the kids she had last time I talked to her (she had 5). Now she has 7, and I doubt very seriously that she's anymore active in their lives, then she used to be. Goodness.
Perturbed

No comments:

Songs


Counter