A window into my mind!

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Thoughts on the school district

We've always had a joke that when something happens, we say "That's ok, I graduated from Barstow". Yes this is meant as an insult!

Now that I work for the school district, I can honestly tell you that I understand why that saying has always been around. The district sucks! Not only do I, as a paraeducator, know more than most of the teachers that are getting hired on, but there is so much BS that's going around. For an example, with all the cut backs that's going on in the state, Barstow is now thinking about closing down two of our elementary schools. That means that those kids who go to those schools will now be adding to the over crowding at the other schools that are going to stay open. All school employees got a raise in March, but for some reason, they have decided to take the raise away from the classified employees (I'm one). That means even though our check was a little bit bigger in March, it is short in April from the deduction. I could understand it if all the employees got docked, but the superintendant got a big fat raise and he didn't volunteer to give his up for the cut backs. Instead he hit the little people who make the schools what they are...teacher- aides, janitors, lunch workers...I have a huge rift about that - teachers are not the most important part of the school! Like I said, I've had to teach teachers how to teach the kids correctly in math.

Now I find out that because I'm out on sick leave, I am being terminated from my current position and being placed onto a list, so that when I come off of medical leave, I will be offered the next available position. WHAT??? That means, once I'm healed, if no position opens up for half of next year, I will still be jobless. The only benefit I can see out of that is that I may be placed in an elementary school, instead of the Jr. High school. But then again, I may be put in the High School. :( If I turn down the position that they give me, then I will lose my job permanently. Then to make things worse, my mom put in her leave request for when I have surgery and remind you, this isn't until May. She thought she was doing a good thing by letting them know in advance. Well we got our paychecks today, and she was already docked for the time she'll be taking off next month. How can they dock her before she takes the time off???

Barstow school district sucks!!!!

No comments:

Songs


Counter